My MEMES' BLOG

Cats on Tuesday, My World Tuesday, Ruby Tuesday, Watery Wednesday, Window Views and doors too, This Way - Thurs Way, Skywatch Friday, Look at the Sky Friday, Weekend Memoirs, Weekend Reflections, Scenic Sunday, Shadow Shot Sunday, Straight out of the Camera (Sunday) ...Photos other than those with special mentions are my own Copyright.

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Aotearoa: The Land of Long White Clouds

My Skywatch Friday #19

From Dot to Tom over to Host Klaus with Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy and ...Louise. SkyWatch Friday continues to create a huge sensational Phenomenon in the Meme World. Please keep Skywatching every Friday....the Sky is just above you. Look UP!

The sky is the daily bread of the eyes. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

border02


Kia Ora, a Maori (Native New Zealander) word of greetings which means Welcome. Its Australian equivalent is G'day Mate. Now let's see what's their sky is up to.


My early morning rise viewing the lake from the courtyard of the Karaka Tree Motel, then looked up at the sky. This long cloud certainly caught my fanciful interest and made me think of the word Aotearoa - The Land of Long White Cloud which name simply means New Zealand.


As I further turned around sideways to the right, I could vividly see the length of this cloud extending further from the north to the east in rather a pretty smooth stream.


I ventured walking to town from our accommodation trying to keep myself fit for an exercise. It was a nice morning to walk having a cool fresh air and relaxing breeze coming from the lake for a company. My eyes were always focused in the sky observing the behaviour of the long white clouds glacing in the sky.

As the morning progressed so were my steps and strides. And the long cloud well, it changed into something like a pleasant pout nestling down ...err I don't know where?



The word Aotearoa is a Maori word broken up into two components: aotea for cloud and roa which means long. Wikipedia further states that in translation the word "'white' was added as it is the most common colour of cloud and it is accordingly glossed as "The land of the long white cloud". The origin or Etymology of which is found in New Zealand Wikipedia.


Cheers!